[The Immersive Vision Theatre]
The IVT is a transdisciplinary instrument for the manifestation of material and imaginary worlds. Plymouth University’s William Day Planetarium (built in 1967) has been reborn as a 40 seat Immersive Vision Theatre (IVT).
“Yes, the only place on earth where all places are seen from every angle, each standing clear, without any confusion or blending.”
A shared virtual reality…
The ‘Fulldome’ architecture now houses a powerful high-resolution projector fitted with a ‘fisheye‘ lens and customised powerful computers to wrap data, models, video and images around its inner surface.
The 10-speaker spatialised audio system enables the dynamic modelling of sophisticated sonic environments and musical performances.
In addition, our 5 metre portable/inflatable Go Dome with a small HD fisheye projector and sound system is used for outreach programmes, exhibitions and site specific experiments.
The consequences of various world plans could be computed and projected, using the accumulated history-long inventory of economic, demographic, and sociological data. All the world would be dynamically viewable and picturable and radioable to all the world, so that common consideration in a most educated manner of all world problems by all world people would become a practical event.
(Buckminster Fuller, 1962)
The IVT is used for a range of learning, entertainment and research activities, including transdisciplinary teaching, bleeding edge research in modelling and data visualisation. We can fly you to the edge of the observable Universe, across microscopic nano-landscapes, or immerse you in interactive data-scapes.
We deliver shows for for schools, colleges and community groups and can tailor content to specific learning and curricula requirements.
or contact for group bookings and project queries: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is Fulldome?
‘The thing’s hollow – it goes on forever – and – oh my God – it’s full of stars!’
Fulldome is the term used to describe domed projection environments, traditionally found in planetariums. Fulldomes are not panoramas, CAVEs or Oculus Rifts (although many of the underlying technologies are the same), they provide a unique and highly immersive shared audience experience using single fisheye or multi projector systems. The fulldome is emerging from its planetarium shaped incubator into a brave new world of digital projectors, real-time visualisation software, independent content producers and transdisciplinary collaborations. As these technologies and practices evolve you are just as likely to find a VJ in a dome as you are an astronomer.
IVT Project examples:
- EMDL – http://www.emdl.eu/
- Fulldome UK festival – http://www.fulldome.org.uk/
- Entomology & the Volumetric Fruit Fly: http://dome-os.org/projects/fly-thru/
- BBC Stargazing Live: http://i-dat.org/heavens-above-100113/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8
- Dentistry/Wrigley’s Open Wide Project: http://www5.plymouth.ac.uk/news/world-first-film-aims-to-improve-childrens-oral-health
- Unity3D Game engine for education and science visualizations: Patch-Scape workshop and Data Ecologies.
- Student work & training including: interactive projects, VJing and Animation: Architecture / Nano / Engineering
- Festivals and workshops: CultureTech / Kendal Calling
- Transdisciplinary research projects: http://dome-os.org/
Services we offer:
- Fulldome productions
- VR Productions (VIVE/Oculus/Android, etc)
- Data visualisation and sonification
- Tours around the observable universe
- Workshops (onsite and mobile) in astronomy, animation, graphic design, game making, film, fulldome photography and video, 3D modelling, science education
- Event venue for digital arts, VJing, fulldome content, live music, performance
- Lecture space.
- Training in the creation of fulldome content.
- Curriculum development and teacher support.
- Access to tools for the creation of fulldome content.
- Mobile tours of the universe for: school visits, public events, festivals, outreach
- Production on tour
Fully resourced digital production studio with OS X, Windows and Linux machines running:
- VR production for VIVE, Oculus Rift, Android (Google Cardboard/Daydream/Gear VR)
- Uniview (digital atlas of the observable universe by SCISS (http://sciss.se/).
- Content displaying software includes Resolume, Unity, VVVV, Max MSP, VLC, etc.
- Development software includes Adobe Master Suite, Fulldome Plugin AE, Unity3D Pro, Blender, Mayer, Ableton, MAX/MSP, PTGui, etc.
- fisheye camera production and capture.
- interactive systems, MQTT/OSC control through mobile apps and peripheral equipment (arduinos, sensors, etc).
- 41 seats, 1 removable for wheelchair access
- 1400 x 1050 fisheye projector
- 10.1 spatial sound system
- Powerful Windows and Mac systems to run visuals
- Direct laptop input
- Fulldome production lab including all relevant hardware and software.
- Foyer for meeting, drinks, and gallery space.
- Disabled access/toilet.
- Access to 5m inflatable Go-dome, 1 metre hard mirrored idome,
- 2 metre inflatable truncated half dome.
- £80 per hour
- £480 a day (+ VAT)
- 2 x Epson Powerlite Projectors with fisheye truncated fisheye lenses
- Mac Pro tower
- Projector Flight case, Mac Pro, Monitor, Fan, tripod, Dome bag, Bag of wires, tape and supporting materials
- Combined weight: 32-38kilos
- All equipment fits into large car boot, or on the back seat of a smaller vehicle.
- From delivery of all equipment to location setup takes 1 hour, complete pack up takes 30 minutes.
- Must be setup indoors on a sealed flat floor away from rain and wind, with access to a plug socket.
- NB: You would need to complete a hire agreement to cover the insurance for the use of the mobile dome.
- £560 (+ VAT) per day to hire the dome, projector and technician/presenter.
- Transportation costs are additional.
i-DAT’s IVT project has been developed in collaboration with:
IVT Image Gallery:
IVT Regular Public Shows:
Special IVT events are advertised here:
For bookings or queries email:
IVT Venue hire cost:
- £80 per hour (+ VAT) (with technician/presenter)
- £480 a day (+ VAT) (with technician/presenter)
Inflatable hire cost:
- £560 (+ VAT) per day to hire the dome, projector and technician/presenter/seating/queue barrier
- Transportation costs are additional.
- FullDome UK
- kondition pluriel
- Les Productions Recto-Verso Québec Inc.
- North Devon Biosphere Reserve
- NTLab – National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- SOCIÉTÉ DES ARTS TECHNOLOGIQUES [SAT] http://sat.qc.ca/
- Trans-Media-Akademie Hellerau
- University of Applied Arts Vienna
- Université Laval, multidisciplinary research lab
- The Elumenati
Clarke, A., 2001 : A Space Odyssey. Hachette Digital (2010 ). pp198.