The Immersive Vision Theatre
The thing’s hollow – it goes on forever – and – oh my God – it’s full of stars!
A shared virtual reality… We can fly you to the edge of the observable Universe, through microscopic architectures and nano-landscapes, or immerse you in interactive data-scapes and simulations.
or contact for group bookings and project queries: email@example.com
The IVT is currently supporting the Environmental Futures and Big Data Impact Lab, assisting Devon-based SMEs with creative thinking to address big data and environmental challenges. This £6.4m part-funded ERDF project is delivered by the Universities of Exeter and Plymouth with the Met Office, Plymouth Marine Laboratory, Rothamsted Research, Plymouth College of Art and Exeter City Futures. The University of Plymouth’s partnership is housed in the Sustainable Earth Institute.
The IVT has supported numerous research and PGR projects including:
What is Fulldome?
Fulldome is the term used to describe domed projection environments, traditionally found in planetariums. Fulldomes are not panoramas, CAVEs or Oculus Rifts (although many of the underlying technologies are the same), they provide a unique and highly immersive shared audience experience using single fisheye or multi projector systems. The fulldome is emerging from its planetarium shaped incubator into a brave new world of digital projectors, real-time visualisation software, independent content producers and transdisciplinary collaborations. As these technologies and practices evolve you are just as likely to find a VJ in a dome as you are an astronomer.
- EMDL – http://www.emdl.eu/
- Fulldome UK festival – http://www.fulldome.org.uk/
- Entomology & the Volumetric Fruit Fly: https://i-dat.org/small-faraway/
- BBC Stargazing Live: http://i-dat.org/heavens-above-100113/ and http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8
- Dentistry/Wrigley’s Open Wide Project: http://www5.plymouth.ac.uk/news/world-first-film-aims-to-improve-childrens-oral-health
- Unity3D Game engine for education and science visualizations: Patch-Scape workshop and Data Ecologies.
- Student work & training including: interactive projects, VJing and Animation: Architecture / Nano / Engineering
- Festivals and workshops: CultureTech / Kendal Calling
- Transdisciplinary research projects: https://i-dat.org/research/
- Fulldome productions
- VR Productions (VIVE/Oculus/Android, etc)
- Data visualisation and sonification
- Tours around the observable universe
- Workshops (onsite and mobile) in astronomy, animation, graphic design, game making, film, fulldome photography and video, 3D modelling, science education
- Event venue for digital arts, VJing, fulldome content, live music, performance
- Lecture space.
- Training in the creation of fulldome content.
- Curriculum development and teacher support.
- Access to tools for the creation of fulldome content.
- Mobile tours of the universe for: school visits, public events, festivals, outreach
- Production on tour
Fully resourced digital production studio with OS X, Windows and Linux machines running:
- VR production for VIVE, Oculus Rift, Android (Google Cardboard/Daydream/Gear VR)
- Uniview (digital atlas of the observable universe by SCISS (http://sciss.se/).
- Content displaying software includes Resolume, Unity, VVVV, Max MSP, VLC, etc.
- Development software includes Adobe Master Suite, Fulldome Plugin AE, Unity3D Pro, Blender, Mayer, Ableton, MAX/MSP, PTGui, etc.
- fisheye camera production and capture.
- interactive systems, MQTT/OSC control through mobile apps and peripheral equipment (arduinos, sensors, etc).
- 41 seats, 1 removable for wheelchair access
- 1400 x 1050 fisheye projector
- 10.1 spatial sound system
- Powerful Windows and Mac systems to run visuals
- Direct laptop input
- Fulldome production lab including all relevant hardware and software.
- Foyer for meeting, drinks, and gallery space.
- Disabled access/toilet.
- Access to 5m inflatable Go-dome, 1 metre hard mirrored idome,
- 2 metre inflatable truncated half dome.
- 2 x Epson Powerlite Projectors with fisheye truncated fisheye lenses
- Mac Pro tower
- Projector Flight case, Mac Pro, Monitor, Fan, tripod, Dome bag, Bag of wires, tape and supporting materials
- Combined weight: 32-38kilos
- All equipment fits into large car boot, or on the back seat of a smaller vehicle.
- From delivery of all equipment to location setup takes 1 hour, complete pack up takes 30 minutes.
- Must be setup indoors on a sealed flat floor away from rain and wind, with access to a plug socket.
- NB: You would need to complete a hire agreement to cover the insurance for the use of the mobile dome.
i-DAT’s IVT project has been developed in collaboration with: